26/10/12 - RED - Taylor Swift

Anyone who knows me knows my feelings about Taylor Swift.  I adore her to an almost obsessive capacity.  The amount of times I find myself whining the words, "But why aren't I Taylor Swift?!" is genuinely embarrassing.  She is potentially my favourite person in the world (friends and family excepted).  She's just beautiful and talented and...I could go on, but I won't.  

Anyway, you can imagine how excited I was for her new latest album RED which came out on Monday 22nd October this year.  I pre-ordered the two disc deluxe edition from Play.com and my lovely housemate Charlie, who shares my love for Taylor, and I were ecstatic when the CDs arrived on the Saturday before the release date.  Top tip: pre-order things you really want, because they tend to dispatch them early in order to ensure that you get them on the release date.  In my experience, this can easily result in receiving them early!




Ever since it arrived a week ago, I've been listening to it pretty much constantly whenever I'm in my room.  It's a brilliant mixture of upbeat poppy songs and the more mellow acoustic numbers that are typically associated with Taylor.  There's still a country edge to a lot of the songs, although they're not as overtly countrified as her previous albums.  I personally find this album really easy to listen to straight through, even if the tone is fairly different and more mature than some of her previous work.  I don't see this as a negative thing at all and the people who do, don't seem to have much of a grasp on reality - she's not a teenager any more, obviously her music is going to mature as she does.  If it didn't, I imagine people would complain just as much about that.




My favourite songs are the really fun '22' and 'Stay Stay Stay' as well as the duet with Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol, 'The Last Time'.  Unfortunately, the last one is a song which seems to have been slated a little by other reviewers but for some reason, I really like it. Other highlights are 'Everything Has Changed', a duet with the wonderful Ed Sheeran, and one of the deluxe edition bonus tracks, 'Girl At Home', which shows Taylor rejecting the advances of an attached suitor.  And of course the super-catchy, 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' which I'm sure has been stuck in everyone's heads for weeks.

Although it's not my favourite song on the album, 'Begin Again' has an amazing music video which, in my humble opinion, is one of Taylor's best.  And the guy in it is pretty fine as well...




In case you can't watch the embedded video for whatever reason, you can witness the beauty of this video here.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of the album if you've listened to it!  Are you a big Taylor Swift fan?  Which is your favourite song of hers, off this album or of all time?

2 comments:

  1. I adore Taylor Swift, too! She's just amazing! Great post! :))

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! She really is amazing :D

      xx

      Delete