01/01/14 - Goodbye 2013!

So another year comes to an end, and what a year it's been!  As I'm sure everyone says at the start of these posts - included myself last year (I checked) - I feel like so much has changed in the last twelve months, least of all myself.  I turned 21, graduated university, tried a few different jobs, met new people and strengthened the friendships I already had.  When I think back over the highs and lows of 2013, I can barely recognise the girl I was at the start of the year...she had much longer hair, for one thing!  I think I've learned a lot about myself and the way I want my life to be, and I'm determined to make it happen.  2013 has been an honestly incredible year with so many memories that I'll never forget, but 2014 will be even better if I have anything to do with it!

Before I make any more, I want to take a look at last year's resolutions to see how I got on there.  Here we go...

1) Get a degree.  Tick.  A degree I'm very proud of no less, even if I do believe that I could have done a bit better had I worked a little bit harder.  Needless to say, it's not a huge regret as my final year of uni was probably the best year of my life to date and being stuck in front of a pile of textbooks would have impacted that.




2) Spend less money.  This is a tough one to judge.  I did actually manage to stick to the spending ban I put myself on in last year's resolutions post, but I'm sure I've had a few slip-ups as well.  As the year comes to an end though, I'm not totally overdrawn and I try my best to restrain myself to only buying things I really need or desperately want.  So I'm going to call this one another success.  Tick.

3) Food and exercise.  Oops.  This is where I've majorly let myself down, particularly recently.  I have done a little more home-cooking and learned some new recipes, but other than that it's been a bit of a flop.  While I was in Hull, I was so good at going to the gym and eating well.  Ridiculously 'I-can't-believe-I-have-this-kind-of-self-control-in-me' good.  Having people around me in the same boat definitely helped, and a cheap gym just a short walk away.  Now that I'm home with my Dad's cooking on tap and less access to gym facilities, it's become much harder.  I'm hoping to get a little more on track in the New Year, so watch this space!

Two out of three ain't bad, but I'm hoping I can do even better with the next twelve months.  Last year's resolutions were pretty dull really, mostly attempts to make myself more sensible and to use my time and money practically.  While these are still things I need to do - more than ever now that I don't have a lovely student loan to rely on - 2014's resolutions are going to be more fun.

This year, I want to have adventures.  If nothing else, I am certainly jaunting over to Canada to see Rachel while she's out there.  I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to experience all the wonderful things I've seen her posting photos of on Facebook!  




But in general, I want to make things happen for myself in 2014 - whether that means travelling (which I intend to do more of), getting a job, finishing the novel I've been working on...any number of things.  2014 is going to be my year.  I can feel it already.


What are your resolutions this year?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Be the first to comment on this post: