01/12/13 - Happy December!

It's finally December.  Although this year has gone really quickly, it also feels like this month has taken ages to come.  It could be that the Christmas celebrations started early, as they invariably do, and I didn't really feel part of them.  In my university house, we had to make the most of the festive season, starting with the mulled wine and paper snowflakes in November as we all went our separate ways well before Christmas.  But I'm back in my parents' house now, and they are strong believers in keeping all things festive under wraps until it's almost too late.

But they can't stop me getting my own personal festivities on as soon as it hits midnight on November 30th.  My biggest pleasure when I woke up today was knowing that I could finally eat mince pies which I only indulge in during the month of December.  So breakfast consisted of a mince pie - M&S, very tasty and luxurious - and a Bailey's coffee.  
For as long as I can remember, my brother and I each get a traditional advent calendar (no chocolate here) from our grandma every year.  It's become a family tradition and this year was no different.  Behind each door is a little colourful cellophane picture so by the end of advent, the front of the card resembles a stained glass window.


And December wouldn't be December without festive bedding.  I also added a couple of strings of coloured fairy lights (£2.50 for 40 bulbs from Primark) to the white bulbs and flower lights which already adorn my bed frame.  Now when you're reading my posts, you can imagine me blogging from my bed, bathed in the glow of hundreds of twinkly lights!








While you're picturing that festive scene, we'd better add some wintery scents.  I'll be doing a whole blog post on my favourite candles for winter (massive blogger cliche, I know, but what can you do?) but for now, I'll leave you with a teaser of the one I've just started burning today in honour of December.


 And tonight, we're treating my brother to his first ever viewing of one of the world's best feel-good Christmas films, Love Actually.  It won't be long before The Grinch and The Holiday are played on every channel and I personally can't wait!  My all-time favourite festive film is The Muppets' Christmas Carol, but I'm saving that one for when it gets much closer to the big day.


So there you have it!  You can expect a few more festive posts coming your way as the month progresses.  Now I'm going to indulge in a few Christmas tunes (a little BublĂ©, anyone?) and maybe even another mince pie.


Do you think it's too early to crack out the tinsel and eggnog, or are you like me?  Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. December = festive in my world! I'm saving the Muppets until Christmas Eve but I'm so excited for The Holiday to be on! Got a cliche candle burning myself ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad someone else agrees! The Muppets has always been my official Christmas Eve film but I fear I may be working that evening and will have to be a grown up :( xx

      Delete
  2. I watch Love Actually every year!
    and The Snowman every year since I was about 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my first watch of Love Actually, but I suspect it'll be a recurring feature! Aah I'd forgotten about the Snowman, going to have to dig it out now :) xx

      Delete