07/07/13 - Wimbledon 2013

Okay, so this is a bit of a departure from my usual blog posts and I know that it won't be of interest to everyone, but today marks a tremendous moment in sporting history.  And anyone who knows me, knows that that is not a sentence you would expect me to care about at all.  Wimbledon is the only sporting event I ever get excited about...and if you follow me on Twitter, you'll have seen that I got very excited.

However, I had good reason.  As the BBC didn't tire of telling us, we have been waiting since 1936 for a British win in the male singles final.  "Seventy seven years of hope, seventy seven years of pain"...I saw that overly dramatic montage so many times, I fear that phrase is etched into my brain forever.  But those seventy seven years of waiting finally paid off as Andy Murray brought a nation to its knees by beating Novak Djokovic, the world's number one seed, in straight sets today on Wimbledon's Centre Court. 



Despite being a relatively quick match of only three sets, it felt like a five-setter.  The intensity and skill of both players were undeniable throughout and the last few games were insanely close.  Djokovic shone right up until the very end, not showing any signs of flagging even as Murray approached championship point.  As my mum said, you don't get to be the world's best tennis player by giving up when it's not looking good.  But after letting it nearly slip away from him three times, Murray claimed the title he's worked so hard for after little more than three hours of play.  I was over the moon see Andy win, especially after Sabine Lisicki - my favourite in the women's final - was beaten yesterday by the totally deserving and very talented Marion Bartoli.



Tennis courts the nation over will now be full of people of all ages, donning the sweatbands and digging out the rackets, inspired to take up the sport for at least the first couple of weeks of the summer before they lose interest.  I won't pretend that I won't be among them.  My brother (who plays regularly and is actually pretty good) has promised to help me improve my abysmally lacking skills on the court, so don't be surprised if you see us smashing the mixed doubles very soon...I wish!

All that's left to say is a huge congratulations to Andy and everyone in his little team of supporters, especially the ever-animated Ivan Lendl and Murray's gorgeous girlfriend Kim Sears who has the best hair and selection of blazers I've ever seen.  Honestly, most of my Wimbledon highlights have been seeing what gems the WAGs are wearing. 


And of course seeing these two cuties having a lovely day out!

I feel like I really missed a trick by not doing more for Wimbledon on this blog; I realised too late that there is plenty that I could do without having to talk too much about actual tennis at all.  There are plans already in the pipeline for Wimbledon 2014, so get excited!


Let me know your favourite bits of Wimbledon 2013 in the comments!

No comments:

Be the first to comment on this post: